I love Colour deVerre molds and within an hour of their introducing their newest one, the Spiral Pattern Fuser, I had placed my order to get one. Yay! I am still not completely set up in my new shop, but I was set up enough to at least give this mold a try as soon as it arrived.
Of course, for some reason, I can never try simple and so I decided to try four different colors of blue which then made it harder for me to measure the amount of frit I was using. So I followed the directions and tried to fill the cavities to the top and then added my clear sheets on top. It fired great according to their schedule! While great looking especially for a first attempt, I ended up with many clear spots mixed in with the color so I assume this means I didn’t use enough frit.
Experiment number 2 thus started and this time, I used a single color, weighed the fit and filled the mold more. It seemed like I was overfilling the cavities and I ended up with some spillover but I hoped this would just fuse down into the cavity and not be noticeable.
The bad news is that this time I got a kiln error and my guess was that the kiln fired to about 800 degrees F and then failed and cooled down. The good news is that it seemed like I could just put the mold with frit back into the kiln and refire and it would be just fine. So after resolving the kiln issue a few days later, I put the mold back into the kiln and refired. Again using to the Colour deVerre instructions, it fired great. The additional frit made the blue brighter and more solid which is what I wanted. Unfortunately, I ended up with what may have been a bubble but by the end of the firing, was a divot. I am guessing it was perhaps moisture in the air that accumulated in the frit while I was fixing the kiln. Not what I wanted, but interestingly enough several people have said they love the divot and to try to add more. Hmm.
In attempt 2, I can still see some of the frit spillover, hence attempt 3 which is where I balanced attempts 1 and 2 with the frit. Again I went with multiple colors using the colors of the rainbow. A much better balance of just enough frit, but I wish I had used a darker green. Back to my Compulsive Mistake Identification problem (see previous post)! 🙂
* The orange frit was a striker so the pre-fired color was the same color as the mold. This made it hard to see where I was putting the frit so I would recommend at least at first starting with frits that are easier to see when filling the mold.
* It is worth the time and effort to try to get the right amount of frit to fill the cavities.
* Lastly, for those of us who are of the age, I wore my reading/magnifying glasses on attempt 3 and it made it so much easier to see the indentations in the mold.
Regardless of my personal learning experiences, the mold and the resulting pieces are absolutely beautiful and eye-catching. Thank you again, Colour de Verre!