I recently worked on a custom order for a fused glass drop vase. While I made a similar vase several times in the past, Murphy had his hand at this one. The first vase ended up with a weird finish on the outside of the vase. It looked fine, but just didn’t feel right even after sanding it. So I started the second vase. This time, a relay in my kiln failed and I had to replace the relay.
For drop vases, it is important to be present when the vase is actually dropping so you can control the depth of the drop. Since my current shop is an hour drive away, I set the schedule to stay at 100 degrees F for 18 hours and then start the program so that it would be ready to drop when I arrived at the shop the next day. This way I didn’t need to sit there for 6-7 hours waiting for it to drop. Also at the top temperature, the first vase dropped to the right depth at 1.5 hours, so this time I had set the hold time for 1.25 hours to be on the safe side.
While the schedule worked for the first vase, for the second vase the kiln seemed to ignore the 18 hour hold and when I arrived the next day, the vase had dropped and the kiln was already at room temperature. And this time 1.25 hours was too long of a hold and so the drop not only touched the kiln shelf, it pushed the vase stem sideways. Hence why I am calling it the wonky vase. While interesting in its own right, this vase is not what the customer wanted.
Luckily vase three went well although I did stay at the shop the entire time to ensure the schedule was working and it dropped the appropriate amount.
So what to do with a wonky vase? It no longer made sense to use the stand, so I decided to make the vase its own stand. After creating the base using two 3mm sheets of glass with some confetti added on, I then put the vase back on the drop vase mold to tack fuse the vase onto the base I just made. I only went to 1200 degrees F for the tack fuse.
In one of my original blogs, I had explained a faux pas I made with my drop mold and had to cut the mold to get the vase free. Check out the blog for a picture of the mold (https://idlecreativity.wordpress.com/2011/10/13/planning-ahead/). I still have this mold and it was this mold I used to do the tacking of the base so I didn’t have the same removal problem again. To cover the cracks in the mold, I used fiber cloth which also helped elevate the vase enough for the base glass to fit beneath. Love it when a plan comes together.
Check out the completed Wonky Fused Glass Vase!